About My STAR WARS DAY Slappie (Sticker) from 2013


Back in 2013, I was invited to and flown to Jakarta to cover STAR WARS DAY JAKARTA (Read features HERE on TOYSREVIL / Hashtagged "#swdjkt" on Instagram), and I decided to bring along a dedicated self-promotional sticker (for the blog), which featured my doodles, specifically dedicated to my (semi) yearly DRAW A JAWA and DRAW A WOOKIE fanart blog-features. This is the chronicle of the sticker's (or as the hip-kids call it: "Slappie") development...


I had decided to use the illustration I did in my book-pages (the above insert-image below), but cleaning up the image of text would be a nightmare, so I decided to redraw the whole thing!


Seen above are the initial (digital) layouts for the image. I knew I had wanted a rectangular format sticker, one reason being they could contain the text I had wanted within (stroll down to read the reason why :p).

"Semoga Force Be With You" was a translation into Bahasa from "May The Force Be With You", but I reckon this would literally be lost in translation somehow, IMHO.

Like when I used "Mainan Itu Jahat" - a literal Indonesian translation of "Toys Are Evil" - the feedback was generally a non-starter LOL


Final designs and layouts seen above, which I posted to both my Instagram and Facebook for folks' feedback (I went with the "without eyes" image).

Cleaned up and repositioned the image via photoshop. Imagine I did not scan my drawing initially, but had taken a still digital image instead, and cleaned it up via photoshop lol

If you do not know by now, I do not have the use of a working scanner at home, so this image - and any other images - were first snapped on my phone-camera, then exported unto my desktop, and treated/edited in my photoshop - which I have not had the access to, in the recent years.

One major irony here is, I no longer actively use the domain URLs I listed here! With my botnet forever lost in the void of the www, and unfortunately not recognising the power of hashtags back in 2013 hahahaha

Also, if I did the sticker NOW, I would add a little bit more self-promotion with the hashtag "#hengdraw" and/or "#toysrevilart"... But my BLOG was my main focus then, so... "hindsight" be ruthless, yo! LOL


Instant sticker printing (at my local go-to 24hour printer) meant an expensive run but nevertheless I had me a stack of stickers and packed them off to Jakarta!

Remember the "irony of used URLs" I mentioned in above para? That's why I have a small stack of used stickers set aside right now, but cannot bear to chuck in the bin ... hahahahahaha



My thanks to Eric and Tanti for posting with the stickers! I had hoped to ask MORE folks to pose with them, but I was literally (A) too shy to, and (B) too busy with covering the event with taking pics with my shitty phone-camera LOL ... I've always kicked myself for this since though... Wished I had traded with more folks my slappies too ...


One of the reasons why I had wanted to do a rectangular sticker (instead of a square or circular one), was because I had wanted it to be able to be used for a mobile phone cover too! How short sighted was that? OMG LOL


I realised I might have featured these images on my Facebook but not HERE in my own sketch-blog, so this post is to remedy that! As well some images has been posted on my socials (Instagram / Facebook / Twitter), as a reminder of the posting date for this year's STAR WARS DAY, happening May 4th (as is every year)!

Cheers and thank you for reading this far!
Andy TOYSREVIL

Comments

Popular Posts