My #Inktober2018 (Day 13-18)


Featured here are my Intober doodles for Day 13 to Day 18, based on the official prompt words, and specifically via my purple ink ball-point pen! I'd thought to maybe slack off a tad with "simpler" doodles for this series (My plan is to sketch between 5 to 6 sketches each "series", using different themes or styles), but it is hardly "harder" than I thought it would be!

Or more likely I am the sort of hobby-doodler that embellishes waaaaay too much to cover up my flaws LOL


Day 13/31 #inktober2018 with prompt word “GUARDED” - with my interpretation being “Guard Ed of East Mall security (night shift)”! Heh.

Done in purple ball-Point pen, no pencil base ... I had hoped to try non-prompt words for my next cycle, but alas my brains ain’t working so good these days ... -.-“


Day 14/31 #inktober2018 prompt “CLOCK” - with my doodle introducing “Cain Lock of C.Lock Bounty Services (Serving Heaven & Hell)”! A character I’ve had decades in the back of my mind, but never a “name”, so I thought this could be a one? LOL

Drawn with purple ball point ink, with a pencil base ... would’ve gone with a background but I couldn’t decide between depicting heave or hell lol


Day 15/31 #inktober2018 with the prompt word being “WEAK” - and I’d like to dedicate this to all the peeps who scoff at guys who cry in films and call them “weak” - to go and f88k themselves.

It takes a lot more courage to let yourself emote and release your feelings, than shoving that 🔌 up your a$$. Thanks and have a nice day :)

Doodled in purple ball-Point pen ink (no pencil base). It didn’t start out mechanical/robotic, but it is my go-to gimmicky to cover up my inconsistent sketching skills, fhanks :p




Day 16/31 #inktober2018 for the prompt word "Angular" - and no matter how "clever" I tried to be with it, the word conjures up the angular form of vehicles meant for racing - chief of which is my love for the designs for "REDLINE" anime film, which somehow reminded me of "WACKY RACES" (which I too adore), coming up with a less than satisfactory car sketch (SWIPE to view next abandoned doodle :p) ... and instead I went with a female racer in full suit and over-sized helmet, which now thinking about it, could be a "Penelope Pitstop"? Long story short, this doodle hardly fits the prompt word, but I'll try harder next time heehee

Done in purple ball-point pen ink (no pencils), with the vehicle behind with pencil base and blue ball-point ink finish.


Day 17/31 #inktober2018 prompt "SWOLLEN".

I have a particular preference to depict (male) characters with "swollen" bodies, and has been so for quite a good decent decades. Where once I was preoccupied with anatomically accurate forms, these days my guys are all swole, ridiculously so lol

I'd like to think I owe this to artists like Simon Bisley, whose work in early ABC Warriors on 2000 A.D., and even subsequently exaggerated characters such as Lobo for DC Comics, wth their ballooned buff bods, crossed the threshold of caricature, which appealed to me, IMHO.

Doodled in purple ball-point pen ink. No pencil base.


Day 18/31 #inktober prompt "BOTTLE".

And while this day's doodle is hardly noteworthy in any visual regard, I'd like to dedicate this to one of the turning points in my artlife in my youth ...

In the mid-1980s, I had been shuffled into the "ARTS" stream in secondary school (the other streams were "SCIENCE" and "TECHNICAL"), and for subsequent years, did not actually have any "art classes" because the school did not have a "art teacher" (#lame).

I had been doodling since young, and was actually looking forward to art classes, which I had hoped would help me on the path towards being a "comicbook artist" when I grew older (besides being the academic which I had felt I needed to be for my parents :p)>

Fast forward a couple years to my less-than-stellar results in the GCE 'O' Level results, which somehow led me to an interview at the then VITB ("Vocational Institute Training Board" - a precursor to the current "ITE") - for which I had felt the interview went swimmingly good too - with me showcasing my "drawing block" superhero doodles with naive pride (thinking back they were so elfin' childish lol), and the interviewer impressed with my English language results (essentially the only good grade in my school life hahahahaha), until she asked "How much did you get for ART in 'O' levels?" .... ("What was your grade in ART" for 'O' levels?")

In short, since there were no art classes in school, I did not take art for 'O' levels, which meant I had zero grades, and thus my dream to enter Baharuddin was dashed! (Singapore was run by grades and paper qualifications then, and now).

I had then chosen to retake my secondary four (essentially repeating sec.4, and joining my Normal stream cohorts in school), with the aim to (A) Do better in my results (being the eldest son, I still felt the pressure to make them proud, although none of my parents ever pressure me at all :p) ... and (B) Take ART for 'O' levels!

Of course the school still did not have a "art teacher", and I had to take a weekend class (*What we now know as "Twilight Classes" in local context) - held by VITB - to certify I had spent time "learning" art, so I could take ART for my 'O' levels independantly from my school, which I did for a good few months, on Sunday afternoons. So while friends were out having fun, dating girls etc, I was taking more classes LOL

In all of my classes (held in a regular school classroom, just not my ow school), the person in charge (*I hesitate to say "teacher", because he idn;t teach me jack) would put a few items on the teachers' table in front of us, and asked us to draw it (Essentially "Still Life" drawing), after which he promptly left the classroom, only to return to collect our drawings at the end of the day. That's it.

And that was my education in art (up until then :p).

This Inktober doodle is dedicated to that.

Everything from before that period, I had been mostly self-taught. Through literal tracing comicbook panel art, to mirroring my fav artists (George Perez was a strong influence for me to strengthen my anatomy), I had mostly been a pencil-and-ink guy, with colors being "mixed media", to put it kindly.

Remembering the VITB "art class" sessions, I had used "poster color" like I would "water color", never truly having the knowledge of how to use them (I still technically don't), and adding felt makers for shadows and faux-definition, and FFS "liquid paper" aka "Blanko" for "highlights"!

So you can imagine my subsequent "art heroes" were mixed media mavens like Bill Sienkiewicz and Dave McKean (they still are) :)

I eventually managed to finish the VITB-course, and aced the exam ... entering Baharuddin (majoring in "Interior Design" instead, ironically), and having my sketchbooks filled with as much superhero-doodles as they did interior design concepts (for which I am very proud of, thank you) LOL


This doodle ends my "purple ball-point pen ink" foray for #Inktober, and of starting another doodle-track for the next series :)

Thank you for reading :)

Cheers
Andy TOYSREVIL

Comments

Popular Posts